Decluttering and reading are two of my passions! I’ve put together a list of the best decluttering books out there. I have read most of these and others I’ve heard great things about and did my research.
They are surely worth reading if you want to change your life for the better and work on decluttering your home and life.
You may be asking yourself some questions like…
What is the best decluttering book?
What is the best book on minimalism?
What about a declutter your life book?
You can find the answer to these questions here in this list of books on decluttering.
Let’s get on with it, shall we?
This post contains affiliate links.
14 Best Decluttering Books For 2019
1. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo. How could I talk about the best decluttering books and not mention this ever so popular book. This is a best selling book about decluttering. There is even a TV show based on her method.
Basically, Marie Kondo believes you should only keep items that spark joy. I especially like the way Marie folds clothing items and after reading her book, it’s how I fold a lot of my clothes.
Overall, a very enjoyable read and she has changed the lives of many people with her tips.
2. Clear The Clutter: A Step-by-Step Guidebook. I have to include my ebook in this list, of course! If you’ve been struggling with getting rid of clutter in your home, doing little-by-little but never getting anywhere, then this will be a game changer for you.
It will take some rolling up of your sleeves but with an action plan and your determination to get things done, you can make a huge difference to your home by getting rid of the clutter in one weekend. Yes, you can do it!
3. Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff . I love this book by Dana White because it goes into the emotional challenges with decluttering and how to get through them.
She’s also humorous along with being strategic in her approach. One reviewer on amazon goes on to say.. “This is THE DECLUTTERING BOOK FOR ME. I started to highlight and found myself highlighting the whole damn book!”
4. Cluttered Mess to Organized Success Workbook: Declutter and Organize your Home and Life with over 100 Checklists and Worksheets (Plus Free Full Downloads). Just as the title of the book says, this ebook written by Cassandra Aarssen, includes checklists and worksheets to help you along the way as you declutter and get organized.
The author is a Professional Organizer and has helped many families organize their home and life. She also openly shares about living with ADHD. She’s honest and truly helpful with all her awesome decluttering tips.
5. The Power of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential…in Business and in Life.This book by Leo Babauta emphasizes a simplified lifestyle, living healthier and reducing your material possessions. This book makes the list of one of the best decluttering books because it is one of my favorites!
Also, Leo talks about setting fewer goals at a time to manage stress and actually get things done. Decluttering and simplifying, he believes, will help you discover more important things in your life.
6. The Joy of Less: A Minimalist Guide to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify (Updated and Revised). Jay Francine shares simple steps to embrace minimalism and form new habits. She talks about the value of space and helps you reframe the relationship you have with your stuff.
If you are looking to downsize she also offers suggestions too.
Want to declutter room by room? She also goes through that in the last chapter of her book.
7. 10-Minute Declutter: The Stress-Free Habit for Simplifying Your Home .The authors of this book, S.J. Scott and Barrie Davenport show you how you can declutter your home in just 10-minutes each day.
Personally, I don’t like this approach but there are people that do prefer the slow and steady method because of time-constraints.
If you like this approach to decluttering then this book may be useful to you as it provides some good action steps along the way.
8. Unstuffed: Decluttering Your Home, Mind, and Soul. I love how this book goes into why our lives become so stuffed and what we could do to stop it. The author, Ruth Soukup is very motivating and encouraging and provides step-by-step guidance to getting rid of your stuff.
What’s really awesome about this book is that it is not only about decluttering your stuff but also decluttering your mind and life. After reading this declutter your life book, say goodbye to toxic relationships!
9. Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less. This book by Greg McKeown is about decluttering your work life.
If you’re feeling overworked, overloaded or overcommitted, this book is for you. It will help you change the way you think about your priorities and essentially helps you do less but accomplish more.
The author “talks in a very clear and straightforward manner about how to simplify your life, your thinking, and your purpose to cut out all the extraneous “stuff” that continually distracts us and focus in on what’s really important” (says one reviewer on amazon).
10. The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own. This is another great read by Joshua Becker.
This book will make you realize how all the stuff you own is keeping you from pursuing your dreams. It goes into why getting rid of your possessions is the best way to make the most of your life.
“Joshua Becker is one of my heroes. The More of Less shows all of us how to embrace the joy of less and in so doing how to live a richer, deeper, and more intentional life. If you’re struggling with too much stuff and too little happiness, here is your must-read.”
—Peter Walsh, author of the New York Times bestseller It’s All Too Much
11. The Minimalist Home: A Room-by-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life. This book also by Joshua Becker, will walk you through each area of your home and help you decide what to do with your items. It’s more practical and action-oriented. It’s for the aspiring minimalist and in my opinion, one of the best books on minimalism along with being one of the best decluttering books.
Joshua shares his own and others’ personal stories that will inspire you to become a minimalist.
“This isn’t just a book about decluttering. It’s a book about remembering what the purpose of every room is and making your home feel like the most important place on earth. Less clutter, more heart.”
—Cait Flanders, author of The Year of Less
12. The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life. This book is easy to read and shows you where to start. It also goes into how to successfully add new habits into your life.
The book is broken down into four main sections: Getting Motivated, Clutter Prevention, Clutter Reduction, and Maintenance.
It allows you to focus on areas in small increments. The author of this book, Lorie Marrero is a Professional Organizer.
13. The CHAOS Cure: Clean Your House and Calm Your Soul in 15 Minutes. This book is from the housekeeping guru Marla Cilley, also known as “TheFlyLady” at her popular website.
In her book, CHAOS, stands for – Can’t Have Anyone Over Syndrome.
She helps families get their home in order with her practical tips that she shares in a fun way. Her book is easy to read with short chapters so you could get through it in small bursts. I love how this book also enforces on keeping a home clean and peaceful.
Marla also includes her favorite recipes as a bonus!
Quite different then the other books listed here, this one by Cassandra Aarssen is all about the connection between brain types and clutter/organization.
She believes there are four different organizing styles and helps you find out which one suits you best. You can figure out your organizing style by doing a quiz in her book.
Find out the why of your own clutter, how to get organized according to your own style, and become more productive.
This is one of the best decluttering books for it’s usefulness and inspirational insight on clutter and organization.
There you go! These are the top 14 best decluttering books that made the list! Have you read any of these books about decluttering? What was your take? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Related Post: 47 Things To Declutter From Your Home (Without Regret!)
FREE CHECKLIST>> 121 Things To Declutter!
FREE CHECKLIST: 121 Things To Declutter ~ without regret! Start decluttering when you sign up for the newsletter.