If you have a lot of things to declutter, my honest advice is to arrange two whole days to clear your schedule and just get it done! Think of it as a two day project where all you have to do is eat, sleep, and declutter – nothing else. You will feel so accomplished once you are done and possibly never have to do a two-day marathon again if you keep on top of your incoming clutter.
I never liked the idea of doing 30 day challenges like I see others do. Who has time to deal with their clutter for 30 days along with everything else that needs to get done in a day?! Really – I don’t and I’m guessing you don’t either.
If you’ve read some of my older posts, you know I’m a fan of batching tasks which allows me to work more efficiently, getting more done in less time.
But don’t let me stop you from doing it a little bit at a time if that’s what you prefer. It’s up to you really!
47 Things To Declutter From Your Home
Room by room here we go!…
- Old dishtowels (tea towels).
- Excess tablecloths, cloth napkins, placemats, and other table setting decor.
- Storage containers you don’t use.
- Storage containers without lids or lids without containers.
- Cookbooks that you never use.
- Food in your cupboard that has expired or gone stale.
- Food in your refrigerator that has expired or gone bad.
- Food in your freezer that is long overdue.
- Excess pots and pans.
- Excess kitchen utensils.
- Excess bakeware.
- Excess serving dishes for big parties you hardly host.
- Spices and herbs that you never use or have expired.
- Home decor items you don’t love.
- Old magazines and newspapers.
- Unused cables.
- Chargers for phones you no longer own.
- Old electronics.
- Outdated media (VHS and audio tapes).
- DVDs you have watched and won’t watch again.
- CDs you don’t listen to anymore.
- Mismatched socks or socks and stockings with holes in them.
- Bras that no longer fit, no longer hold their shape or are worn out.
- Underwear that doesn’t fit or is worn out.
- Belts you haven’t worn in the last 12 months or hardly ever use.
- Purses that are worn out or you don’t use.
- Discolored, rusted and broken jewelry.
- Any earrings that don’t have their matching pair.
- Jewelry you never wear.
- Accessories that you never wear.
- Toiletries you never use.
- Old or stained towels.
- Hair products you no longer use.
- Unused or broken hair accessories.
- Cleaning products you don’t use.
- Old makeup brushes.
- Old makeup or makeup that you don’t use and love.
- Old or nail polish in colors you no longer like to use.
- Expired vitamins and medicine.
- All that travel-sized hotel stuff you were “going to use someday”.
- Toys that are broken.
- Toys the kids no longer play with.
- Stuffed animals that are ripped.
- Computer games that the kids have grown out of.
- Baby gear that is outgrown.
- Outgrown clothes & shoes.
- Games with any missing pieces.
This list of 47 things to declutter from your home is a good start for decluttering! If you want a list of more items to declutter in each room, including digital, office, garage, outdoor and other miscellaneous items throughout your home, download the free checklist: ‘121 Things To Declutter (without regret!)’. Print it out and work your way room by room. You’ll be so proud when you’re done!
What do you struggle the most with when it comes to decluttering? Feel free to share in the comments below…
FREE CHECKLIST>> 121 Things To Declutter!
FREE CHECKLIST: 121 Things To Declutter ~ without regret! Start decluttering when you sign up for the newsletter.