The second trimester is considered to be the best trimester to be in for most pregnant mamas. The nausea has faded, energy levels increase and a cute baby bump emerges! It’s a lot more fun now as surely there are some things you should do in your second trimester.
I’m in my second trimester and so relieved! The first trimester I had every symptom possible in pregnancy. Now that it’s behind me, I’m ready to tackle some things from my to-do list. I made a list of things you should do in your second trimester. It’s in no particular order and there’s no rush in getting through the to-do list – as long as most of it is done by the end of the second trimester:)
This post may contain affiliate links.
20 Things You Should Do In Your Second Trimester
1. Have an ultrasound to determine the gender and check to see that all is okay with baby. This is one of the most important things to do in your second trimester. While you might not want to know the gender under the birth, doing an ultrasound to check that baby is doing well and even any necessary blood work should be done at this time.
2. Plan a gender reveal party. If you are finding out the gender of your baby before the birth, now’s a good time to do a gender reveal for your friends and family! My sister-in law did a simple and cute gender reveal for me with a decorative box, balloons, and the announcement on bristol board. It’s a girl!
3. Buy maternity clothes. While you don’t need to buy too many items for such a short period of time, you will definitely need a few items to fit your lovely growing belly. Buy the same size you were before the pregnancy or just one size up. I’ve already bought some maternity jeans and shorts and I’m on the lookout for a few more items. You can also get away with using your regular clothes if you use a bellyband to go with it. You could get two FREE (just pay shipping and use coupon code: sweethome50) at Bellybuttonband.com .
4. Start your baby registry. If you are having a baby shower, starting a baby registry is very wise! This way you can choose exactly what you would want to get baby yourself anyway. Besides BabiesRUs, create a baby registry with Amazon. It’s awesome to have a baby registry with Amazon because everyone can access it and the prices are usually lower than other big retail shops. The selection to choose from is also amazing and it’s so helpful to read the reviews when choosing your items.
5. Plan your baby shower. If you are having a baby shower, now is a good time to plan. Whether you have a simple baby shower or plan to go all out, the second trimester is such a fun time to plan everything or at least start thinking about it!
6. Moisturize your belly each day. Moisturizing your belly may or may not prevent stretch marks. It works for some women and not for others. Moisturizing will surely help to relieve the itchiness caused by the stretching.
7. Start sleeping on your side. Around mid-pregnancy, it is often recommended to sleep on your side instead of your back. Sleeping specifically on your left side can help improve blood flow to the placenta.
8. Get a pregnancy pillow for better sleep. To help you sleep more comfortably on your side, a pregnancy pillow is a must. I couldn’t sleep well without mine, now that my bump has grown. At www.pregnancypillow.com you can get $50 off any pillow purchase when you use my coupon code: sweethome50 .
9. Get to eating healthy! The first trimester is often a difficult time to eat healthy because of the nausea and vomiting you may experience (you just have to eat to survive!). Now in the second trimester, when morning sickness has hopefully subsided, it’s a great time to resume healthy eating for both you and your growing baby. This is one of the most important things you should do in your second trimester!
10. Sign up for a breastfeeding and childbirth class. If you are planning to breastfeed and would like assistance to breastfeed (many women do!), then consider signing up for a class. You may also want to consider signing up for a good childbirth class in your area. It could be a lot of fun but make sure the classes end before the 37th week of your pregnancy!
11. Book a prenatal massage. Ladies, get one each month until the end of your pregnancy! The benefits of prenatal massage are amazing. It can help with pregnancy aches and pains and helps you feel more relaxed and less anxious.
12. Read a favorite maternity book. Now is a great time to read some pregnancy books related to childbirth, fitness, breastfeeding, and even raising baby. I’m currently reading and loving Bringing Up Bebe.
13. Sign up for free baby stuff. Shopping online is awesome for getting free stuff for baby! Just pay shipping and use coupon code: sweethome50 for any of the following: baby sling for free, adorable baby towel for free, nursing pillow for free, 5 free baby board books, car seat canopy for free.
14. Enjoy baby-free activities (adult time). Take some time to enjoy being baby-free! Plan to go see see a movie, go shopping for hours (because you can!), or meet a friend for coffee. It’s less complicated to do it now, so enjoy:)
15. Narrow you baby names list. If you’ve made a long list of baby names, decide on a name now or at least narrow the list down a little!
16. Tackle home improvement projects. Did you have organizing your recipe binder or closet on your list of things to do? Well, now’s a good time to get through that list by getting some stuff done around the house. Get help for any heavy lifting or anything otherwise hazardous.
17. Get your teeth cleaned. While you may not have been feeling up to it during the first trimester, consider going to the dentist in the next few months for a general cleaning. It’s important to take care of your oral health while you’re pregnant. It’s both beneficial for you and your baby and it’s safe.
18. Start doing kegel exercises. Kegels can help prevent urine leaks during and after pregnancy and can help keep hemorrhoids away. Learn more about how to do kegels here.
19. Book a maternity shoot. Taking photos of your pregnant belly can be a lot of fun! You don’t even have to have a professional photographer if it’s not in the budget. Simply arrange a date with a close friend or family member to meet up with you somewhere nice to take photos of you. Whether it’s with a professional photographer or not, schedule a date for the beginning or in the middle of your third trimester. It’s such a special time you will want to look back on for years to come.
20. Consider a baby moon. Last but definetly not least on the list is to consider taking a baby moon! This could be a vacation or weekend getaway. Having a baby will change a lot for you so take some time to do something out of the ordinary from your normal every day routine. Go with your partner, alone, with a friend, or a family member. Just relax. You deserve it mama!
Do you want to add to the list of things you should do in your second trimester of pregnancy? Fell free to share in the comment section below…